By Amy Amatangelo, TV Gal®
Hello! I’m back!
As many of you know, I stopped writing the TV Gal® blog after the birth of my daughter in 2010. But now that she’s older (because really can’t two-and-a-half year olds practically raise themselves?), I decided it was high time to revive the TV Gal® blog. I’ve missed talking TV with all of you.
We. Have. So. Much. To. Discuss.
Let’s start with all the TV that happened since I last talked to you:
- I liked the finale of Lost. Maybe it’s because I was so sleep deprived when it aired but the ending worked for me. But I’m totally ready to discuss something that’s over two years old. Bring it on.
- I also liked the first season of The Killing. I wasn’t even angry that they didn’t tell us who killed Rosie Larsen. But the second season was a colossal collapse. Everything went to hell in a rainy hand basket that was wearing an oversized sweater. In keeping with the outdated technology of the show, let’s discuss this via a rotary phone and a fax machine.
- I totally missed the memo about Downton Abbey and am very late to the Downton Abbey party. I’ve watched season one. I love Mr. Bates and have become slightly obsessed with what the rich did all day. They didn’t work. They didn’t cook. They didn’t clean. They didn’t even have to dress themselves. Nice life but I think I would be so bored.
- I wish you all could have been there for me with Ringer. I watched every single episode and I totally needed a support group.
- I can’t decide if I love or hate the fact that Bunheads is basically Gilmore Girls Redux.
- While we were apart I completely broke up with American Idol. If the show actually adds Keith Urban as a judge I might come back.
- Here are the shows that premiered while I was gone that you totally need to be watching.
- New Girl
- Switched at Birth
- The Glee Project
- Here are the shows that premiered and were cancelled while I was gone that I wish I had been around to advocate for:
- Detroit 1-8-7
But enough about the past, let’s talk about the plans for this new TV Gal® Blog. I plan on posting a new story every Tuesday and Thursday. I definitely hope to post more than twice a week but Tuesdays and Thursdays will be the days you can count on new content. If you follow me on Twitter (@amytvgal) or subscribe to this blog, you’ll know every time I have something new up. I also plan to bring back two of my most popular features: “Where Have I Seen Them Before” and “Quotes of the Week.”
I learned a long time ago that I can’t write about everything for everybody all of the time. But I will try to write about something for everybody most of the time. If you’re a fan of The Real Housewives franchise or think Here Comes Honey Boo Boo is hilarious, you won’t find any talk about shows like that here. But if you count shows like Homeland, The Good Wife, New Girl, Cougar Town, Grey’s Anatomy, Glee, Parenthood, Raising Hope, Political Animals, The Office, Smash, Revenge, Awkward, Drop Dead Diva, The Middle, Modern Family, Mad Men, Parks & Recreation and 30 Rock among your favorites, we will have lots to talk about.
And finally, if you’re reading this, it probably means that you kept up with me all the time I was away and for that I cannot thank you enough. The main thing I missed about writing the TV Gal® blog is the constant interaction with people who loved TV as much as I did. I’m glad to be back. Let the TV party begin!
So glad to have you back, Amy!!!
I too am very happy. Hoping for some Amy Awards come year’s end!
So glad you’re back! I missed your blog! This new tv season just happens to be way more awesome. Yay!
Welcome back! Every time I was one of your infrequent tweets, I kept hoping that it would be this announcement. Congrats on successful parenthood.
Yes on the Lost Finale. Did I love what they did with the sideways world, no? But did it make sense in an emotionally fulfilling way that was true to overall themes of the show, yes. I ended up writing a multi-page defense of it after so many of my friends were hating on it.
Ditto on Bunheads. I love it except when it veers so far into obvious Gilmore Girls territory that it becomes grating (and reminds me that my crush on Lauren Graham will forever be unrequited). Also, can we talk about Alexis Bledel’s role on Mad Men… OMG, what happened to Rory?!!!
Community and Castle are on your must-watch list too, yes? What about True Blood? I still watch HIMYM, but that’s entirely out of loyalty to NPH at this point, the show itself has become a chore.
As a Boston-fan of yours, let us know if you ever host a viewing party. That would rock!
I am very excited over this. Welcome back!
Any, I’m so glad that you’re back! Re: Bunheads.. I’m not 100% sure if the show has found it’s footing yet – the A (Michelle) story and the B (teen) stories don’t have a strong enough overlap to relate them. The Stars Hollow adult world as represented by Lorelai and the teen world as represented by Rory were always connected by their mother/child bond. I do think it’s hilarous how Michelle and Sasha physically *look* like Lorelai and Rory though!
Amy, I am delighted that you are back! I have certainly missed you during your absence and there were so many occasions when I wondered what you would think about a particular show. I have followed you on Twitter and always enjoyed your little gems there, but it’s so much better to know that you will be writing a regular column. I do hope that all is well with you and your family. It sounds like you are enjoying motherhood. Again, welcome back!
took me forever to find you again
The world is right again. TVGal has a blog where I can learn about the shows I should be watching, commiserate about the shows I can’t help but watch, and figure where the heck I saw that guy before. Maybe with the added element of wondering just how many times you have to watch that Fresh Beat Band/Yo Gabba Gabba cross-over episode. Welcome back, Amy.
Thanks for all your wonderful comments! It’s great to be back!
I’ve followed you forever, and I’m so glad you’re back. I read your blog throughout high school and will always remember your willingness to help me with a research project in college. Welcome back!
You’ve been missed! I’ve been waiting for you to come back and was so happy to find this today. I hope all your old fans find you quickly and you can new ones just as fast. I’m a mom too and you made a great choice to leave and focus on her, but I’m glad you came back! oh and I’m so with you that Ray Romano does not to be in a love triangle with them, I hope they find another angle and that Monica Potter gets nominated this year!
Just found out you’re back! Yay!
I am so happy I found you today! I have missed you and found myself wondering what you would say/think about Downtown Abbey and Bunheads. On a whim, I did a search again today and found this blog…so so happy. Welcome back.
Welcome Back!! And a note Bunheads is perfect!!
It’s like a belated Christmas present. You are finally back! I was just removing zap2it from my internet favorites when I thought of your blog. I googled it and there you are again. It’s so great that you are back! And because I found out 3 months after the fact, I have a lot of reading to do! All the best from the Netherlands!